Tuesday, May 29, 2012

"45 by 45" & the importance of goal setting

I have celebrated my second achievement of my mini-goal:  lose 5 pounds.  I've lost 10 pounds in these two months of walking!  Today I fit into a pair of jeans I couldn't zip the last time I tried them on.

Just last week, I increased walking 2.5 miles once a day to twice a day, in hopes that I'll lose 20 pounds these next two months.  (If I don't, I'm going to be kicking someone's A$$!)

My first big goal is to lose 45 pounds by my 45th birthday.  This also coincides with my brother-in-law's wedding, which is a big motivator.  To achieve any goal, you must have a strong "WHY".  Why did I choose 45 pounds?  Because "45 by 45" is catchy, and because it will bring me to the weight I was when my husband and I renewed our vows for our 10th anniversary (nine years ago).  Choose goals that have meaning; you will be more emotionally motivated to achieve them. Goals also need to be SMART:  Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Time Measured. 

Write down your goals!  "A goal is just a dream until you write it down." Share your goals with others (who will be supportive of your efforts).  Do something related to your goal each day.  Review your goals regularly and evaluate your progress.  Don't set your goals too low.  If you set them too high, reset them.  The important thing is that you made the decision to GO FOR IT!

What are your favorite tips for achieving goals?

No comments:

Post a Comment