Monday, May 14, 2012

Runner's high

I don’t run.  Not that I’ve never tried.  Back in high school and college, I made a few attempts.  I couldn’t get past the burning in my lungs and the stitch in my side.  I didn’t know then about starting slow, building up your endurance; run a bit, walk a bit, etc.  So I wrote myself off as not being a runner.

Over the years I have watched with admiration those people in my life who run:  a high school friend, who was on the track team and continues to run today; my sister-in-law, who discovered running as a weight-loss tool and is in fantastic shape; neighbors, who run at varying paces but are faithful to it; Facebook friends, who go to different cities to race and spend time with their friends.  So inspirational!  But we must walk before we run.  And so I walk.

What intrigues me about walking and running is the “high” that you get from it.  The body produces those feel-good chemicals that cause the addiction we feel.  I call it “the zone”:  after finding my stride, my body propels me forward without my thinking about it anymore.   What I love most is the feeling in my legs and A$$ that assures me I am in fat-burning mode.  And after my walk is done, I feel cellulite “popping” and melting away. 

It took a few weeks to get to this point.  During one walk in the second week, my neighbor (who is a speed walker but takes it down a notch for my benefit) accompanied me and about halfway through, I wanted to stop and cry - my knees hurt so bad.  Each day after that, I told myself to walk through the pain, and it eased up more each day. 

Anything worth doing takes effort.  It takes effort for me to get up an hour before I actually have to.  It takes effort to walk two miles.  But the high lasts through the day and my body craves it by the next morning.  It is this cycle that I must not break.  Yesterday, Mother’s Day, was a day of rest.  I did not walk.  I missed the high.  So I walked this morning.  And I’ll walk tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats to you Lori, for taking the time to invest in yourself as well as your family. I too always ruled myself out as a runner, but I took it slow just as you described and I ran my 1st half marathon last year. Running as well as walking does leave you with a natural high (and a few aches and pains). It is also a feeling no one can take from you no matter how crappy your day has been.I hinestly have a love hate relationship with it. I hate the thought if it on some days and love myself even more when I am finished. I once read that you never regret getting up and doing it, but you regret not getting up and doing it.That is so true. I hope you find great success in your journey and learn to love live even more than you already do. Congrats to you and the new life you have decided to give your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amie:) CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU! Half marathon... that is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete